Pigeon games is a sport that has a single starting gate, and hundred finish lines and that’s why it is called an uncontrolled competition. It is thus an aerial race with several thousands of competitors and no spectators. It is a sport with one of the most amazing creatures, the Homing Pigeon. Like many of nature’s creatures, pigeons have the ability to return to their nesting places from great distances. What makes birds unique is how comfortable they are with humans.
There is no insider facts to pigeon racing. The proper management and knowledge of the fancier and his experience alone will help him. Fanciers who accept that they can make pigeons fly speedier by issuing every one of them sorts of mystery solutions and medications will be baffled by their outcomes. A pigeon can just attain to top exhibitions when it is getting a charge out of immaculate health; it achieves top condition through exercise and correct feeding.
Fundamentals of the Game
The race begins when releasing the pigeons from a distant point called the starting gate or the release station. These releases are standard locations named from the nearest town.The distances from the release stations to each pigeon loft are calculated by special surveyors.
Before the race starts, by placing a numbered rubber band called a countermark on each pigeon’s leg. The bird is officially home when finally placing this countermark into the clock and timing handle on the clock is turned.
When kicking the clock, the exact time is recorded down to a 100th of a second and the countermark enters a sealed tamper proof chamber.
The trainer has to make sure that the racer comes inside quickly so that the countermark can be removed and placed into the clock. With simple mathematics being that distance divided by time equates to speed, the winner is, therefore, the bird with the fastest homing speeds.
Released in a town they have never before seen, rising from the ground hundreds of the miles from home, these racers take only minutes to get to their bearings.
Training for the game
No matter which place they will fly in the world, or how far they will compete, the basic training of the homing pigeon is the same. The training of the pigeons starts the moment of weaning and has to fend for itself. Weaning youngsters starts at any time between 21 and 28 days of age.
Below are simple steps involved in the training
1. Make sure you have homing and or racing pigeons as other will not fly back over long distances
2. Build a good loft that the birds can enter
3. Make sure that there is a large opening, into which they can fly.
4. Keep your birds in an enclosed space without letting it out for about four weeks.
5. After about four weeks, take your pigeons out and push it through the opening.
6. Once your birds recognize that their loft is their home, it will symbolize safety and security for them.
7. For flying speeds such as homing pigeons or rollers, you can still let the pigeons fly away, and they shall return within a few hours.